Gzip issue with Safari

sphax3d nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Tue Aug 9 08:14:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

I discover the problem reported by mcofko yesterday when I see the nginx
configuration generated by the W3 Total Cache extension for WordPress :

if ($http_accept_encoding ~ gzip) {
    set $w3tc_enc .gzip;
}
if (-f $request_filename$w3tc_enc) {
    rewrite (.*) $1$w3tc_enc break;
}

It doesn’t use the gzip_static feature of nginx “because gz is not
compatible with some versions of safari.”
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-w3-total-cache-change-gzip-extension-to-gz

This bug of Safari seems to be well known since 2009 ! :
-
https://www.webveteran.com/blog/web-coding/coldfusion/fix-for-safari-and-gzip-compressed-javascripts/
-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32169082/safari-cannot-decode-raw-data-when-using-gzip
-
https://blog.jcoglan.com/2007/05/02/compress-javascript-and-css-without-touching-your-application-code/

But somebody noticed the bug is resolved now :

“The test page blog.kosny.com/testpages/safari-gz indicates that the warning
"Be careful naming and test in Safari. Because safari won't handle css.gz or
js.gz" is out of date. In Safari 7 on Mavericks, and in Safari on iOS 7,
both css.gz and js.gz work. I don't know when this change occurred, I'm only
testing with the devices I have.”
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5442011/serving-gzipped-css-and-javascript-from-amazon-cloudfront-via-s3

So now I don’t know if I must handle this bug or if I can consider this
out-of-date.

Cheers

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,266915,268856#msg-268856