Start nginx worker process with same user as master process

Francis Daly francis at
Wed Aug 17 18:10:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:03:48PM -0400, Sushma wrote:

Hi there,

> I have setup nginx master process with a user , lets say user1.

By that, do you mean "you run nginx as user1", or something else?

> In the nginx.conf, user directive is mentioned with nginx. (user nginx;)
> I understand that worker processes will be spawned by user nginx when I
> start nginx.

Only if user "user1" has permission to change userid to user "nginx".

> Is there a way to start worker processes also as user1 without changing
> anything in the nginx.conf file ?

When I try it, I see

nginx: [warn] the "user" directive makes sense only if the
master process runs with super-user privileges, ignored in

and my master process and my worker process are running under the same
uid as each other.

Do you see something different?

Francis Daly        francis at