upstream status

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Sun Aug 21 14:08:04 UTC 2016

As per the docs
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#var_upstream_status>,
it is said this variable contains all the status codes returned by each
upstream interrogated.
>From what I understood, server1 returned 504, server2 returned 502.

Those statuses are included in what the proxy_next_upstream
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_next_upstream>
directive describes as an 'unsuccessful attempt', thus it seems every
server of your upstream group has been tried (default number of attempts is
1 as per the server
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#server>
directive).
nginx then returned the result of the last attempt, resulting in a 502
answer passed back to the client.

I do not know what a 'special response' is. Custom header?
I also do not get why you are surprised by the fact 5xx responses end up
with them being shown to client. They are perfectly valid HTTP status
codes, indicating a server error, and are shown because no upstream server
returned a 'successful' status code.
---
*B. R.*