nginx.conf

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Fri Dec 16 06:51:05 UTC 2016

‎Take a look at this:
‎http://ask.xmodulo.com/block-specific-user-agents-nginx-web-server.html

Personally, I would use the map feature since eventually there will be other user agents to block.

I use three maps. I block based on requests, referrals, and ‎user agents. The user agent is kind of obvious. Unwanted referrals is a personal thing. I find some websites linking to me that are pure crap like stumbleupon. I don't want their traffic. Yeah sometimes stumbleupon has a relevant link, but most of the time their links make no sense. Some sites will link to your website for SEO. Some linking is just freakin out there, like when Hamas linked to my site. (Humus I like...Hamas not so much. )

Blocking requests is useful if you want to get the IPs of hackers. I find many requests for the directory "backup."‎ I even have the Chinese equivalent to backup in my bad request trap. Rather than let them 404, I 444 them, and then check the IP to see if it goes to a hosting company, VPS, VPN, etc. You can't block enough IPs at the firewall in my opinion.

Every IP you block that isn't an eyeball, even if harmless today, might be harmful in the future. No eyeballs, no need to view the site.