Naxsi Nginx High performance WAF

mex nginx-forum at
Sat Dec 24 08:09:02 UTC 2016

Hi c0nw0nk,

mex here, inital creator of
and maintainer of Doxi-Rules
(this us where the rules live we create with spike :)

the doxi-rules in its current state are inspired by emerging threats rules,
and not by the CRS-System because:

- mod_security can hook into any phase of a request, while naxsi only works
in access_phase
- naxsi has a very slim but yet powerfull core-ruleset
- naxsi doesnt hold state of an actor

thus, it would not be possible to re-create the CRS onto naxsi, instead, we
have a very slim but very fast core-ruleset that does not change very often,

and ontop of this, if wanted a wider ruleset that protect against common
classes of attacks like XXE or generel Object-Injections

i learned from my gurus @emerging threats ti write signatures
against vulnerabilities, not exploits

before naxsi i used mod_security with CRS as well and it was
more tha just PITA becaause of False Positives and performance-issues
as well. with naxsdi, learning mode and whitelist-creation
using a WAF is fun again.

If you have detailed questions about naxsi, there is a
as well