SSL handshake errors when configured as a reverse proxy

Josh Jaques jjaques at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:13:11 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

To clarify the setup earlier,

I continued to use the Ubuntu compiled version of NGINX from apt-get.

The specific procedure I used to change the lib that NGINX would load
was by replacing the libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0 files in the
path referenced by ldd for the NGINX binary with ones compiled from source.

When I switched to Apache, I reverted the system to the package manger
versions of libssl and openssl. It continues to be in production without
producing any handshake errors.

So from my end there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support OpenSSL
version ever being an issue, because Apache works fine using the same
version of OpenSSL that we initially experienced the problem with in NGINX.

The Apache version I am running is also the default from apt-get.