Limit reqs per user / bot

djeyewater nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Sat Jan 9 13:44:11 UTC 2016

B.R. Wrote:
> You should use limit_conn
> <http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_conn_module.html#limit_c
> onn>
> in conjunction with limit_req
> <http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_req_module.html#limit_re
> q>.
> They are supplementing each other.
> ---
> *B. R.*
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM, djeyewater
> <nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org>
> wrote:
>
> > itpp2012 Wrote:
> > > No because one user (web browser) can easily open 20 or more
> > > simultaneous connections to get a better web response.
> > > A bot might be less prone to do the same but most connect at about
> 5
> > > simultaneous connections.
> >

> > The limit_req will only be used for requests to dynamic pages, so
> there
> > should only be one connection per user at a time.

But using my example config, which only allows 1 request per second per
user, then wouldn't limit_conn be superfluous? You can't have more than one
connection for a single request, surely?
I'll paste the config again here as it got missed off the previous quote:

map $http_user_agent $single_user {
default $binary_remote_addr;
~PaperLiBot 1;
}

limit_req_zone $single_user zone=one:10m rate=1r/s;

limit_req zone=one burst=2;

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,263891,263913#msg-263913