Nginx Slow download over 1Gbps load !!

Payam Chychi pchychi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:35:58 UTC 2016

Yep, im certain this is not an nginx problem as others have also pointed out.

Two ways of solving an interface limitation problem.
1. Change ur load balancing algo to per packet load balancing. This will split up te traffic much more evenly on multiple interfaces however, i would not recommend this as you run the risk of dropped/ out of state pkt and errors... There are only few conditions that this would work with a high level of success.

2. 10gig interfaces. You can pickup a cisco 3750x on amazon for a few hundred $ these days and add a 10gig card to it.

Id say to check your sysctl and ulimit settings however kts clear that issiue is only active when pushing over 1gig/sec.

Simple test: use two different sources and test your download at the same time. If you can dictate the source ip addresses, use an even and odd last octet so to aid in a better balanced return traffic path. Monitor both switch port interfaces and you should see the total traffic > 1gig/sec without problems... More controlled test would be to setup each interface with its own ip and force reply traffic to staybon each nic.

Feel free to drop me an email offlist if you need anymore help.

--
Payam Chychi
Solution Architect