Weird problem with redirects

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Jul 16 07:47:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:58:07PM +0100, Hamza Aboulfeth wrote:

Hi there,

> I have a weird problem that suddenly appeared on a client's website
> yesterday. We have a redirection from non www to www and sometimes
> the redirection sends somewhere else:
>
> [root at genious33 nginx-1.11.2]# curl -IL -H "host: hespress.com" x.x.x.x

If that x.x.x.x is enough to make sure that this request gets to your
nginx, then your nginx config is probably involved.

If this only started yesterday, then changes since yesterday (or since
your nginx was last restarted before yesterday) are probably most
interesting.

And as a very long shot: if you can "tcpdump" to see that nginx is sending
one thing, but the client is receiving something else, then you'll want
to look outside nginx at something else interfering with the traffic.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org