listening but not connecting

Larry Martell larry.martell at
Thu Jul 28 19:01:17 UTC 2016

Trying to set up nginx and uwsgi for django. Following the directions here:

netstat shows that nginx is listening on port 80:

tcp        0      0    *
LISTEN      9256/nginx: master

But I cannot connect from my browser (I get connection timeout):

This is my nginx.conf file:

worker_processes  1;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;

http {
    include            mime.types;
    default_type       application/octet-stream;
    keepalive_timeout  65;
    sendfile           on;

    client_max_body_size 20M;

    include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

In /etc/nginx/sites-enabled I have this one file:

# motor_nginx.conf

# the upstream component nginx needs to connect to
upstream django {
    server unix:///usr/local/motor/motor.sock; # for a file socket

# configuration of the server
server {
    # the port your site will be served on
    listen      80;
    # the domain name it will serve for
    server_name localhost;
    charset     utf-8;

    # max upload size
    client_max_body_size 75M;   # adjust to taste

    # Django media
    location /media  {
        alias /usr/local/motor/motor/media;

    location /static {
        alias /usr/local/motor/motor/static;

    # Finally, send all non-media requests to the Django server.
    location / {
        uwsgi_pass  django;
        include     /usr/local/motor/motor/uwsgi_params;

The error log has just this one line:

2016/07/28 14:26:41 [notice] 8737#0: signal process started

And there is nothing in the access.log.

Any ideas what I could be missing or what i should check?