nginScript (njs) feedback

Jorge L. jlorgal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:35:34 UTC 2016

I'm trying to implement a routing logic with nginScript. I haven't been
successful because I miss important javascript feature.

I would like to give you my feedback just in case it may help to improve
njs (from more important/blocking to less important):

   - There is no way to iterate through the keys of an object. It is not
   supported none of the following methods:
      - Object.keys
      - Object.getOwnPropertyNames()
      - for ... in
   - I would like to use/import nginx variables. Something like
   http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2016-May/008207.html would
   be great.
   - I miss string.split function. Probably map, reduce, and many other
   methods as well.
   - It would be nice to have some "singleton" support where I could set a
   variable that is evaluated only once (first time is required or when nginx
   is started/reloaded). It's clear that it should not be related to
   request/response but this approach would improve performance by avoiding
   executing same thing for each request. It would be similar to importing a
   javascript module (it's only imported once and global vars and requirements
   are satisfied only once).
   - I would like to include javascript modules. I'm using a directive:
   "include /etc/nginx/js/*.js;" but this .js files need to include the js_set
   $xxx "..." which makes the file to be invalid javascript (and you may miss
   some features from your javascript IDE).
   - It would be nice to access a cookie by name (it wouldn't be necessary
   if I could access to a nginx var like $v.cookie_XXX).
   - Logging function would be nice to help debugging.

Hope it can be helpful