Request processing rate and reverse proxy

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Mar 2 12:28:35 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 05:05:16PM +0100, Guillaume Charhon wrote:

> I have setup nginx 1.9.3 as a reverse proxy [1] with a rate limitation per
> server [2]. The rate limitation does not work on this scenario. The rate
> request limitation works well if I use nginx as a normal webserver (for
> example to serve the default welcome page).
>
> I have attached my configuration files (listen on 80 and redirect to
> another webserver running lighttpd).

There is no "limit_req" directive anywhere in your config, so it's
not a surprise rate limiting does not work.

You have to configure both "limit_req_zone" (to configure shared
memory zone to store states) and "limit_req" (to configure
particular limits in particular locations), see
details here:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_req_module.html

http://nginx.org/