Nginx 1.9.11 and OpenSSL 1.0.2G - HTTP2, but no ALPN negotiated.

Andrew Hutchings ahutchings at nginx.com
Thu Mar 3 12:44:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Ubuntu 14.04 NGINX is built with OpenSSL 1.0.1 so is not built with
ALPN support. If you have installed OpenSSL 1.0.2 you can recompile
NGINX to use this and gain the ALPN support.

In most cases HTTP/2 with NPN in OpenSSL 1.0.1 will work for now.

Kind Regards
Andrew

On 03/03/16 12:32, dannydekr wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 14.04 with OpenSSL 1.0.2G,
>
> Upgraded to Nginx 1.9.11 mainline (PPA) from 1.8.1 stable, because Chrome
> will drop SPDY in a few months. Better be prepared.
>
> Everything went fine, but when I test HTTP2 I notice that ALPN doesn't
> work:
>
> No ALPN negotiated
>
> Since I have the latest version of OpenSSL, I have no idea why this is the
> case.
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,265036,265036#msg-265036

Andrew Hutchings (LinuxJedi)
Technical Product Manager, NGINX Inc.