Rev. proxying a java applet

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Mar 16 22:09:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 06:43:53AM -0400, aruzsi wrote:

Hi there,

> > The applet itself will be a http request, which it looks like you have
> > working.
>
> The start page is almost working.
> First of all there are some upstream servers which are connected to
> different devices (serial line) so I want some URL to different the
> servers or (places).
>
> So I use http://nginx.server.com/<diff-places>/<orig_URL>.

Start simple.

Get just one working first.

> Something is working because IcedTea asks my permissions for
> Java thing and the siloutte of the WEB page appears full of error
> messages (missing IDs, etc.)
> I think this first stage is not correct because the different (virtual)
> URL.

Check the apache logs for when you connect to apache directly; you will
want to know what the full set of requests and responses is.

Then when you go through nginx, do you see the same requests and

> > What the applet actually *does* is another matter -- and in general,
> > only you know what that is.
>
> Yes, I know this. I just think I know some thing about the behaviour
> of the applet on the network.

You will need to know that, if you want to configure nginx to support it.

For example: how does the applet know to use port 7000? How does the
applet know which server to connect to on port 7000?

> > Can you describe the full network traffic when the applet works
> > normally?
>
> Maybe. I can use tcpdump of course.
> With rev. proxy and without it (through SSH port forwarding). Is that
> right for you?

SSH port forwarding is a new thing.

Keep it simple.

Until you know what is supposed to happen, you will not be able to know
whether everything is working the way you want.

> > The machines involved are:
> >
> > * the client (your browser)
> > * the nginx server
> > * the upstream web server
>
> OK.
> As I can see no communication between my client (browser) and
> upstream server.

Should there be any communication there?

> It would not be a problem, because I want to
> proxying everything (separated subnet, no route, firewall, etc.),
> But my browser needs communicate on TCP/7000 port to the
> nginx or upstream server and it doesn't try. :-(

Which server should your browser choose? Why should it choose that server?

Learn that first, and then it might be clear what you need to configure.

> I think some other Java archives (.jar) not loaded by my browser.
> I don't know why.

Which other jars? How does your browser know to load them? Which urls
does your browser use for them?

Check logs for when things work.

> > If nginx were not involved, the client would make a http request of
> > the
> > upstream web server to fetch the applet, and then... what?
>
> I don't know.
> I tried to check the upstream server's Apache access and error.log
> without any information for me except missing some Java files
> when nginx is involved in the request.
>
> > The applet runs on the client and tries to access port 7000 of the
> > server
> > the client got it from? And speaks http on port 7000; or speaks its
> > own
> > protocol? Does it use anything other than port 7000?
>
> I think client try to connect TCP/7000 but not HTTP. (without nginx,
> so in normal situation when no proxy)
> But something is different because I did a test when the TCP/7000
> wasn't included in SSH port forwarding. The applet started perfectly
> without the error messeges in it (missing IDs, etc.) but when I try to
> connect to the serial port I got an error message that no communication
> which was right because the TCP/7000 wasn't forwarded.

I do not understand what network traffic you are describing.

That's ok - I don't need to understand it.

But you should understand it, and be able to draw a picture of what
talks to what.

> > If it uses a single port, then possible a nginx stream server{}
> > could work.
>
> Not HTTP protocol, I think. TCP stream between the browser (client) and
>  remote server.

In that case, nginx is not involved, no?

How does the browser know to talk to the remote server?

> Thank you. Will you help me if I got more information?

If you have enough information, it may be clear what is needed.

So long as it remains nginx-relevant, keep updating this thread.

Someone will probably be able to offer advice.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org