HTTP2 Multiplexing

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Wed May 4 11:18:52 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 04 May 2016 18:50:44 Muhui Jiang wrote:
> Hi
>
> >Nginx allows multiple request and responses in multiple connections using
> >HTTP/1.x as well.  HTTP/2 changes nothing here (except it uses only one
> >connection, but it's not important from the basic architecture point of
> >view).
>
> If so, it seems there is no difference or improvement of the implementation
> on the feature of multiplexing compared with Http/1.1 pipeline.
>
> How do you solve the problem Head-of-line blocking occurred in Http/1.1.

[..]

You have mixed multiplexing of data transferring over single connection,
which is the feature of HTTP/2, with multiplexing of requests processing
inside one process, which is the feature of nginx.

These things have no relation to each other.

Please, read the article I've pointed out, nginx doesn't need separate
threads to process something in parallel.

The Head-of-line blocking problem in HTTP/1.1 is presented only if you
use limited number of connections, and HTTP/2 solves it in some degree
but puts the limit and the problem on different level.

With HTTP/2 now you have limit of virtual streams inside HTTP/2
connection and the HOL problem on TCP level.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev