php5-fpm gives unknown script error

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Mon May 9 21:52:47 UTC 2016

Hello list,
I'm pretty new to Nginx, but I wanted to give it a shot. I like how it is
configured--it makes more sense to me than Apache. However, I'm having a
hard time with getting php. I'm running on Debian 8, and Nginx was
installed with apt-get. I've installed php5-fmp, and can view php files in
a browser.

The problem is that, during the installation of OSTicket, I got an error. I
looked at Nginx's log, and found a FastCGI error:

FastCGI sent an stderr: unknown script while reading response header from
upstream

>From what I've dug up thus far, this indicates a failure to resolve the
path to a php script. My suspicion is that OSTicket is calling a script in
a folder somewhere, and that path isn't resolving. My location for php
files looks like this:

server {
  #all the usual, much (but none of the SSL stuff) copied from
  # https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/recipes/osticket/

  location ~ \.php$ {
    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    include fastcgi_params;
    fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $path_info;
    fastcgi_pass unix:///tmp/php5-fpm.sock;

I don't claim to understand what all this stuff is doing, but I hoped this
might work. I know OSTicket doesn't officially support Nginx yet, but since
other people are having this problem for all kinds of scripts and
situations, I thought maybe it was a more general problem I'd be able to
fix. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. If you need to see more
configuration files, I can try to do that. The setup here is awkward (SSH
from Windows to Debian, with no SCP support currently and no way to copy
from or to the SSH session). I can copy files, but it's a bit of a process.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas.
--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com