Global denial for certain IPs or agents?

Alex Hall ahall at
Tue May 10 13:42:26 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I've got Nginx on a Debian server, hosting two sites (two subdomains of my
work's website). I want to limit both, and any future subdomains, to only
intranet addresses. I also saw access logs this morning from a Chinese web
spider which I want to block. I know how to do this, but how can I do it
globally? Currently I have to put the rules in each site's configuration
file, which is duplicating, which I'd like to avoid. I tried adding this to
the main conf file, but I'm not sure what to put for the "listen" and other
variables given that this isn't a server, it's a rule I want applied to all
servers. Is this doable? If so, what's the process? Thanks.

Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at