nginx on high load (upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream)

Francis Daly francis at
Thu May 19 19:28:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 04:31:14AM -0400, muzi wrote:

Hi there,

> upstream is php-fpm server
> ( and its also setup to handle huge load, during above errors, i
> see the site is opening fine. but don't know where to catch it. PM is also
> set on demand and maximum childerns set to 90000 to handle the load, and no
> logs appears in php-fpm. Can you please suggest how to got the issue ?

nginx says that upstream is doing something odd.

upstream is php-fpm.

I suggest checking the php-fpm docs to see how to get it to log what
it is doing -- if it says nginx is doing something odd, then there is
a conflict to investigate. Otherwise, it should says something about the
connections that it is closing.

If the site is opening fine, maybe there is no problem to worry about.

Francis Daly        francis at