Nginx + lua-nginx, get ssl_session_id

Aapo Talvensaari aapo.talvensaari at
Thu May 26 12:53:24 UTC 2016

On 26 May 2016 at 14:04, Dimka <nginx-forum at> wrote:

> Face the same problem, empty $ssl_session_id variable.
> If ssl_session_ticket off, $ssl_session_id always contain ID.
> How can I identify client connection if no ssl session id available?

I would also know answer for this. It is kinda either:
1. server and client store session id
2. client sends tickets that contains info how to continue without server
storing anything

So with tickets you don't have session id. I'm not sure could there still
be some kind of identifier be counted from tickets that could be used as a
identifier for multiple round trips, but I think not (?).

Yes, it sucks a little bit. With session_id we had nice way to identify
client built-in the protocol, with tickets it seems we don't.