checking headers

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue May 31 20:19:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:33:56PM -0400, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:26:26AM -0400, Larry Martell wrote:

Hi there,

> >> The C++ app sends the request directly to port 8000. With the django
> >> app a request is sent to port 8004 and django sends a 301 redirect to
> >> 8000. In both cases the header field X-Capdata-Auth is set. And in
> >> neither case does my config pick that up. This is what I have:

> Using curl I can see that ngixn is doing the right thing. Looking at
> the request coming out of the clients show the header being there.
> Using tcpdump I do not see the header. I know this is no longer an
> nginx question, but anyone know why that header would get dropped
> along the way?

It sounds like your design is that your client sends a http request to
port 8004; the http service there returns a 301 redirect to a url on port
8000 and includes a particular response header; and you want your client
to follow the redirect by making a new request to port 8000 and include a
request header that mirrors the particular response header that you sent.

If you are using the client that you wrote, then you can make sure that
it does that.

If you are using a general http client, it is unlikely to do that.

Perhaps an alternate design involving reverse-proxying would be valid?

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org