Multiple SSL listen statements and SNI

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Fri Nov 11 02:30:56 UTC 2016

Hello. :) Please consider the following nginx setup:

  server {
    # server 1
    listen 443 default_server ssl;
    server_name "";
    return 444;
  }

  server {
    # server 2
    listen 127.0.0.81:443 default_server ssl;
    server_name "";
    return 444;
  }

  server {
    # server 3
    listen 127.0.0.81:443 ssl;
    server_name "foo.com";

  server {
    # server 4
    listen 443 ssl;
    server_name "thing.com";

I am at nginx 1.8.1 with SNI support enabled. The behavior I expect from
this is:

   - requests to foo.com on 127.0.0.81 will return per the server 3 bucket
   - requests to thing.com on the default interface or on 127.0.0.81
will return per the server 4 bucket
   - requests to foo.com on the default interface will return 444
   - requests to any other SSL site will return 444

The behavior I observe that is different from this expectation is this:

   - requests to thing.com on the 127.0.0.81 interface return 444

I would love to know exactly what is going on here. Would anyone be so
kind as to point out what is happening? Thanks in advance.
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Nasrudin, starving with hunger, went to a cafe and began
filling his mouth with food using both hands.
"Why eat with two hands, Mulla?"
"Because I haven't got three."