SNI and certs.

steve steve at greengecko.co.nz
Mon Nov 28 19:37:35 UTC 2016

This is more a philosophical than technical question I suppose.

Is it necessary to purchase a SSL cert for all domains sharing an IP
address if one of them uses https?

It seems that search engines are probing https: even for sites that
don't offer it, just because it's available for others, with the end
result that pages are being attributed to the wrong site.

To me, it seems to be a problem generated by the search engine spiders
themselves ( or just a further push to force all content to https: ),
and the only ways I can see of properly addressing this are

  - dedicate one IP address to SNI / https sites, and one to http: only

  - purchase a SSL cert for all sites, even if only used to forward
https to http.

Doesn anyone have a better solution ( nginx of course! )

Cheers,

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP