AW: AW: AW: SNI and certs.

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:17:14 UTC 2016

> > Does it cause warnings in the webmaster tools? Who cares?
> > Does it affect your ranking? I doubt it.
> > Does it index pages or error pages from the default website and assign to
> > your website? I doubt that even more.
>
> Does it upset my customer? YES.
>
> That's all the justification I need.

That's fine, then why not just say that?

Instead you pretended to know about a huge problem with (a) crawler(s) that
would probably have affected every third website. That would have been a huge
deal, that everyone wanted to know about, if real.

If you come on this mailing list claiming you can remotely crash every nginx
instance, most likely people would like to clarify specifics and fix the problem,
don't you think?

> Feel free to disagree but I really did put up a request for suggestions
> on how people solve this problem,  not to have a philosophical debate on
> the matter.

What I wanted to know is if there is a major bug in one of the crawlers, which
is more or less what you suggested. Now we know its not, and that's great,
because that means SEO is not fucked up for millions of websites out there
in a very common configuration.

Besides, I did provide suggestions about the only way to handle this in nginx
(return specific error codes or certificates from the default server block) and
what would be ideal instead (aborting the TLS handshake like haproxy does
with strict-sni enabled).

lukas