How to delay requests from once unauthorized IP address

hide nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Tue Oct 25 13:01:56 UTC 2016

Hello!

My Nginx does fastcgi_pass to some CGI application. The CGI application can
return HTTP status code 401. I want Nginx to return this status code to the
user and prevent the next access of the user to the CGI application for 5
seconds.

For example, the user accessed the CGI application through Nginx and got
HTTP status code 401 at 17:40:40. Suppose that the IP address of the user is
trying to access the CGI application through Nginx for the second time at
17:40:42. I want Nginx to provide that this second request will not reach
the CGI application. Then the IP address of the user is trying to access the
CGI application through Nginx for the third time at 17:40:46. I want Nginx
to let this third request go to the CGI application because 5 seconds have
already passed. Suppose that this third request has worked successfully with
HTTP status code 200. Then the IP address of the user is trying to access
the CGI application through Nginx for the fourth time at 17:40:47. I want
Nginx to let this fourth request go to the CGI application because 5 seconds
from HTTP code 401 have already passed.

Can I do this with Nginx?

Thank you if you answer.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,270537,270537#msg-270537