access_log format $remote_user anonymous question

c0nw0nk nginx-forum at
Wed Sep 21 21:28:26 UTC 2016

Thanks for the information so based of what that resource says and from what
I understand surely that field should only say "anonymous" or "username" if
on those files / folders in my Nginx config I use "auth_basic" ?

The fact they are inputting that header unlike everyone else just alerts

Because I don't use auth_basic anywhere would anything bad happen if I did
the following.

if($remote_user != "^$") { #Block requests where the user is not empty /
return 444;

Their IP is also listed on stopforumspam's database what also raises
suspicion further