Recommended limit_req and limit_conn for location ~ \.php$ {}

c0nw0nk nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Mon Sep 26 23:41:12 UTC 2016

So to prevent flooding / spam by bots especially since some bots are just
brutal when they crawl by within milliseconds jumping to every single page
they can get.

I am going to apply limit's to my PHP block

limit_req_zone $binary_remote_addr zone=one:10m rate=1r/s;
limit_conn_zone $binary_remote_addr zone=addr:10m;

location ~ \.php$ {
limit_req zone=one burst=5;
limit_conn addr 10;
}

But in applying these limits on all PHP pages will that have bad
repercussions on Google/Bing/Baidu/Yandex etc I don't want them flooding me
with requests either but at the same time I don't want them to start
receiving 503 errors either.

Whats a good setting that won't effect legitimate decent (I think I just
committed a crime calling some of these companies decent?) crawlers like
Google, Bing, Baidu, Yandex etc.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,269862,269862#msg-269862