fastcgi_pass and http upstream

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Apr 3 22:32:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 08:47:00PM +0100, Vucomir Ianculov via nginx wrote:

Hi there,

> i have a situation where i have 2 Apache backed server and 2 php-fpm backed server. i would like to setup up a upstream to include all 4 back-ends or somehow to balance the requestion on all 4 back-ends back-ends.
> is it possible?

You have two http servers, and two fastcgi servers; and you want nginx
to handle a single request by using the appropriate one of proxy_pass
and fastcgi_pass, with telling nginx which one to use?

I do not think that it can be done.

You can share certain requests among the http servers; and you can share
certain other requests among the fastcgi servers; but I believe you
can't have a single incoming request balanced across different protocols
in stock nginx.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org