Limit number of connections to server

Kamil Gorlo kgorlo at
Tue Apr 4 17:22:58 UTC 2017

is there a way to limit total number of open connections per listening port
in Nginx? I know that there is limit_conn module but as far as I understand
it only works on "request" layer, which means connections are counted only
when request headers have been already read.

I have problem when number of SSL connections to my server is very high
(CPU is 100% and server becomes unresponsive), and I would like to "cut"
new connections after some defined threshold is exceeded. It would possibly
save some CPU cycles needed to handle SSL handshake, etc.

Is it possible?