No referrer header on leacher's site !!

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Apr 4 20:54:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 04:39:23PM +0500, shahzaib mushtaq wrote:

Hi there,

> Thanks for quick response. Well its reverse, he's putting our HTTPS video
> link on his HTTP website. Could that create issue as well? If yes, what's
> the fix of it.

nginx does not know (or care) what the linking site does. All it can
see is the request made to it.

The browser entirely controls what request headers the browser sends.

If you want to deny all requests that have no Referer header, you can
do that.

If you want to deny only some requests that have no Referer header,
you will need to tell nginx which requests to deny and which requests to
allow. But before you can do that, you will have to know how to identify
the requests in one of the sets.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org