Nginx upstream server certificate verification

Sergey Kandaurov pluknet at
Mon Apr 10 17:16:54 UTC 2017

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:46, shivramg94 <nginx-forum at> wrote:
> Thank Sergey, for you response.
> I have one more question. If I have multiple upstream server host names in
> the upstream server block, then how can I specify the specific upstream
> server host name to which the request is being proxied, in the
> proxy_ssl_name directive?
> Posted at Nginx Forum:,273295,273462#msg-273462

You could try to construct proxy_ssl_name based on upstream address, e.g.:

    map $upstream_addr $name {
        ~\Q192.0.2.1:8000\E$ first;
        ~\Q192.0.2.2:8000\E$ second;

    proxy_ssl_name $name;

Note well that $upstream_addr may contain multiple addresses, use it
with a special care.  See for details:$upstream_addr

Sergey Kandaurov