auth_basic and satisfy allowing all traffic

Francis Daly francis at
Fri Apr 14 07:48:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:49:50PM -0400, daveyfx wrote:

Hi there,

> In both cases, I get a 404 response, which is to be expected as the default
> doc root for nginx isn't served on my host.  I should expect a 401 on the
> second curl test, but I get a 404.

If your test nginx.conf contains the one server{} block that handles
requests on this ip:port, and that server{} block is exactly the 9 lines
from the previous mail, then I think you've found a significant bug in
the implementation, that does not show itself on my system.

I suspect that it is more likely that the server{} that nginx is using is
not the server{} that you think nginx is using to process these requests.

Or that some of the configuration that you have not shown is involved.

If you can show a minimal config that works, and a minimal config that
fails, then identifying the differences between the two will probably
reveal the fix.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at