HTTP/2 custom status codes

Sharan J jsharan15 at
Wed Aug 9 15:16:41 UTC 2017

I am using Nginx as a reverse proxy and have enabled HTTP/2. For a
particular request, my back-end server sends a custom 4 digit status code
(say 9999).

When connecting via HTTP/1.1, the exact status code is returned to the
client but, when connection via HTTP/2, the response headers along with the
status(9999) sent by my back-end server is sent in the body and the header
has the status code 000.

The same works fine if the custom status code is 3-digit (say 999). I know
the standard is to use 3 digit status code but, why does Nginx sends the
back-end server's response headers in the body? Please help me understand
what exactly is happening.