post_action, rewrites, and proxy_pass

Michael Payne michael.payne at
Wed Aug 9 17:21:31 UTC 2017

I'm attempting to proxy pass requests to AWS API Gateway, but they are not
reaching the endpoint.  Example of my configuration below. Requests come
through as something like

The final post_action hop at the bottom is attempting to pass the request
and its params as

I've confirmed my rewrite logic, though no domain shows up in the log.
Same with the additional access_log.  I'd love more debug information as to
what the final transformation is and the response it gets back. There are
NO error or info logs on my

But mainly interested in my use of the syntax and the expectation.  Any
tips as to what I am doing wrong?

server {
    listen 80 default_server;

location / {
proxy_ignore_client_abort on;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header Host;
post_action @stage;

location @stage {
post_action @app_log;

location @app_log {
post_action @dev;

location @dev {
#rewrite_log on;
rewrite ^ /api/v3$request_uri$1 break;
#access_log /var/log/nginx/proxy-access.log;