How to control the total requests in Ngnix

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Fri Dec 1 16:13:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 06:43:36AM -0800, Gary wrote:

> Is this limiting for one connection or rate limiting for the
> entire server? I interpret this as a limit for one connection.

The request limiting can be configured in multiple ways.  It is
typically configured using $binary_remote_addr variable as a key
(see, and hence the limit is
per IP address.  The particular configuration uses

: limit_req_zone "all" zone=all:100m rate=2000r/s;

That is, the limit is applied for the "all" key - a static string
without any variables.  This means that all requests (where
limit_req with the zone in question applies) will share the same

Maxim Dounin