curl connection refused

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Dec 18 19:26:50 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 01:21:41PM -0600, Joel Parker wrote:

Hi there,

> I have seen this a lot on google but have not been able to find a suitable
> solution. My firewall is setup correctly.

This looks like something that nginx can not do anything about.

> curl localhost - works
> curl 172.31.22.230 -works when running on the local machine

That suggests that the local machine has network connectivity to and
from that IP address.

> but when I try to run it from the outside, I get:
>
> curl http://172.31.22.230/
> curl: (7) Failed to connect to 172.31.22.228 port 80: Connection refused

That suggests that the outside machine does not has network connectivity
both to and from that IP address.

Note that you have one address in the curl request, and a different one
in the response. If that is real, something odd is going on.

> I have made the config as simple as possible but have not figured out a way
> to run
> curl http://172.31.22.230 from another machine

If the traffic does not get to nginx, nginx can do nothing about the traffic.

You need to ensure that your network configuration -- routing,
firewalling, everything else -- is correct, before nginx gets involved.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org