Nginx only sends hostname to syslog.

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at
Wed Feb 8 08:05:19 UTC 2017

Correct me if I am wrong, since I probably will.

>From what I read
'host name' aka name of the host is a FQDN in the hostname.domain format (
domain being able to have n level-s).
Thus, it seems that setting a FQDN as hostname is wrong, since resolving
the FQDN needs querying hostname against hosts

I am not quite sure that the standard then allow you to set more than 1
level in the hostname file.
Since nginx is using the hostname when sending logs to syslog, it does not
seem you can get the FQDN through the standard settings. I could not find
any variable containing the FQDN in the docs either.

​Maybe someone w/ greater knowledge could give us a hand here.​
*B. R.*

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Kai Stian Olstad <nginx+list at>