Cache based on custom header

Chad Hansen chadhansen at
Wed Feb 8 22:47:13 UTC 2017

I use nginx as a reverse proxy, and upstream clients have a need for my
service to cache differently than downstream servers.

Is there a way to change what header nginx uses to accept cache settings?
Or a way to re-write cache headers before the cache settings take affect?

For example, I could have the upstream server set X-CustomCache (intended
for my service) and CacheControl (intended for my downstream), then use
add-header to set X-Accel-Expires to that value, except the header re-write
happens after the request has been cached from Cache-Control.