Behavior between upstream hash and backup

Jonathan Simowitz simowitz at
Wed Jan 11 21:27:51 UTC 2017

I would like to define an upstream block with a number of servers and
utilize the hash directive to choose a particular server dependent on the
request. There is a chance that the chosen server could fail and so I would
also like to configure a backup server to handle the request in this case.
If I define an additional server in this upstream and declare it as backup
will it handle the request if the hash-chosen server fails as defined by my
proxy_next_upstream directive?

If so, great! If not, what is the recommended way to achieve this desired

Thank you,

Jonathan Simowitz | Jigsaw |  Software Engineer |  simowitz at |