Adjusting server_names_hash_bucket_size before nginx throws an error

Vladimir Kozyrev at
Thu Jan 12 12:12:30 UTC 2017

My issue is that I add server {} and upstream {} directives dynamically to
Once the file grew, nginx stopped working and I increased hash_bucket_size
parameter to make it work again.
Is there a way to calculate what value should I set to hash_bucket_size
parameter for a given number of server {} and upstream {} directives? At
some point, the file will grow big enough to stop nginx from working once
Any advice on how can I prevent that from happening will be appreciated.