prxy_buffering

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Jul 5 07:31:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 03:33:36AM -0400, charlesparasa wrote:

Hi there,

> I am trying to check the functionality of proxy_buffering . can you please
> provide me with some sample test scenario.

The documentation is at http://nginx.org/r/proxy_buffering

Is there something specific that is not clear, after reading that?

> Basically I want to visualise the behaviours of nginx when proxy_buffering
> is on and off .

There is the client, which talks to nginx; and nginx, which talks to
the http or https upstream.

The link from the client to nginx can be fast or slow (or variable). The
link from nginx to upstream can be fast or slow. Draw a picture of what
happens if one link is fast and the other link is slow, with and without
nginx buffering the response.

Often, the desired aim is that upstream closes the connection to nginx
as quickly as possible, in order that it can handle a new request.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org