Flushing responses in nginx modules

Zhang Chao zchao1995 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 12:51:28 UTC 2017

Hi!

I think you can debug your code with gdb, maybe some other modules or
filters prevent sending the data.

On 11 July 2017 at 22:57:50, Johan Andersson (ng23 at firemail.cc) wrote:

Hi Andreas and Zhang,

Thank you for your hint with the http_echo_module! I read through their
code to get a hang of how the event loop and the event handling actually
works.

If I replace the hello_world command in my config files with the
echo/echo_flush/echo_sleep commands, everything works as expected.

If I use my modified hello_world module (code below), I still get a
three second pause and then all three "hello world" at once.

So I do not think that my configuration (which is the default Debian
Stretch configuration) is at fault.

I pasted the whole debug log here: https://pastebin.com/raw/uwuK4UJB

When I look into the debug log, I see four writev lines corresponding to
the initial header and the three "helloworld" outputs.

So I think the socket gets its data, but perhaps I am missing some magic
socket options? Which would be strange, as I cannot see the
http_echo_module doing such a thing.

This is my current code (all error handling omitted -- I will take care
of that):

struct ngx_http_hello_world_ctx
{
int counter;
ngx_event_t event;
};

static int numberOfMessages = 3;

static ngx_int_t ngx_http_hello_world_handler(ngx_http_request_t *r)
{
struct ngx_http_hello_world_ctx * ctx = ngx_http_get_module_ctx(r,
ngx_http_hello_world_module);

if(ctx == NULL)
{
ctx = ngx_pcalloc(r->pool, sizeof(struct
ngx_http_hello_world_ctx));
ngx_http_set_ctx(r, ctx, ngx_http_hello_world_module);
}

ctx->counter = 0;
ctx->event.data = r;
ctx->event.handler = ngx_http_hello_world_event_handler;
ctx->event.log = r->connection->log;

r->headers_out.content_type.len = sizeof("text/html") - 1;
r->headers_out.content_type.data = (u_char *) "text/html";
r->headers_out.status = NGX_HTTP_OK;
ngx_http_send_header(r);

r->main->count++; // Increments reference count
ngx_add_timer(&ctx->event, 0);

return ngx_http_output_filter(r, NULL);
}

static void ngx_http_hello_world_event_handler(ngx_event_t *ev)
{
ngx_http_request_t * r = ev->data;
struct ngx_http_hello_world_ctx * ctx = ngx_http_get_module_ctx(r,
ngx_http_hello_world_module);

if(ctx->counter < numberOfMessages)
{
ngx_buf_t *b;
ngx_chain_t out;

b = ngx_pcalloc(r->pool, sizeof(ngx_buf_t));

out.buf = b;
out.next = NULL;

b->pos = ngx_hello_world;
b->last = ngx_hello_world + sizeof(ngx_hello_world);
b->memory = 1;
b->flush = 1;
b->last_buf = (ctx->counter == numberOfMessages);

ngx_http_output_filter(r, &out);
ngx_http_send_special(r, NGX_HTTP_FLUSH);

ctx->counter++;

if(ctx->counter == numberOfMessages)
{
ctx->counter = 0;
ngx_http_send_special(r, NGX_HTTP_LAST);
ngx_http_finalize_request(r, NGX_OK); // Decrements
reference count
}
else
{