FreeBSD Clean Install nginx.pid Permissions Errors

nanaya me at nanaya.pro
Sat Jul 15 09:04:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 17:47, Viaduct Lists wrote:
> The latter.  It makes little sense.  If it’s ignored then there’s no
> sense in having it.

It works if you start it from user with root privilege. Otherwise you
can't switch user and thus the directive is ignored.

> Much like how the current `nginx -t` report makes little sense as well:
>
> nginx: the configuration file /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is
> ok
> nginx: [emerg] open() "/var/run/nginx.pid" failed (13: Permission denied)
> nginx: configuration file /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
>
> This basically says “config file is fine.  I can’t read the pid file,
> even though I’ve been given permission to.  the config file failed."

open() is more than just read. nginx needs to write to it as well and it
can't do it because your user doesn't have permission to. And thus using
the specified config will fail.

The config is syntactically okay but not actually usable.