Identifying "Writing" connections in status stub

Vlad K. nginx-ml at
Wed Jul 26 10:15:10 UTC 2017

Hello list,

I'm graphing information from the nginx status page, and have noticed
something odd. The "Writing" connections are flat over time, not
correlated to the Active/Reading/Waiting connections and are steadily
increasing over time. Example for the past week:

Where it drops, is where I've restarted (not reloaded) the service, and
starts growing up after a short while. This server FreeBSD but I've
noticed it also in Debian.

Is there a way to find out which connections are these, which remote IPs
they are so I can track them with netstat or sockstat? This looks to me
like connection FD or something has been leaking. If this is a bug, I'm
not sure what to report.

I've also noticed, from time to time, connections lingering for long
time in "CLOSED" state (as reported by netstat), googling for which
seems to suggest a bug in application, where it doesn't release the FD
after the remote has closed.

Vlad K.