redirect related questions...

Francis Daly francis at
Sun Jul 30 18:32:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 12:56:55PM +0300, ST wrote:

Hi there,

> Is it a good idea to use DNS forwarding in order not to obtain/install
> ssl keys for as we don't plan to use it? This should make
> redirection faster and requires no setup on nginx... Are there any down
> sides of such a solution?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that.

nginx can listen on one or more address:port combinations, for http
or https.

Each hostname that your client will try to connect to will resolve to
one address (at a time) that the client will try to use.

If your client connects to an address:port that nginx is listening on,
nginx will have to do some work to process the request. If you do not,
nginx will not.

Francis Daly        francis at