Buffering issues with nginx

Dan34 nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Mon Jul 31 06:37:14 UTC 2017

I've run some tests and I'm pretty sure the reason I was getting 5MB stuck
on nginx side was because of RCVBUF on upstream socket uses default socket
buffers and by default it ends up with 5MB RCV buffer.

I added logs to check that value and even after I configured sndbuf and
rcvbuf inside listen directive I was getting 5MB buffer on upstream socket.
After I configured these buffers on upstream (by fiddling with nginx code) I
got immediate results and right away that 5MB delay disappeared.
Similar to 'X-Accel-Buffering' I added X-Accel-Up-RCVBUF and
X-Accel-Down-SNDBUF headers and they seem to be working as expected.

I'm testing this scenario: downstream has limited bandwidth and upstream
(node) can generate data much faster. My goal is to ensure that overall read
speed from upsteram gets limited by downstream, so that nginx doesn't try to
read faster than downstream is capable of. Basically I'm ok if nginx buffers
some constant amount of data (e.g. not more than 1 sec of data at downstream
speed.

Even after fixing it, nginx doesn't work as well as simple single-threaded
vanilla test proxy that I wrote for testing.
That vanilla proxy delivers perfect results for this simple reason: I set
upstream and downstream buffers to some low value (e.g. 128KB) and then I
use blocking recv and blocking send in the same thread. This way whatever it
reads from upstream it sends right away downstream in the same loop

Any reason why would this not work with nginx?.. I don't see why it wouldn't
work with async sockets the same way as with blocking read/send loop in
vanilla proxy.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,275526,275758#msg-275758