Is proxy_cache_purge directive not available in NGINX free version ?

rebaca nginx-forum at
Wed Jun 21 13:31:03 UTC 2017

I am trying to experiment with purging cache content in Nginx server. The
Nginx I have is a free version (Not Nginx Plus version).

As per one of the document from Nginx website, in order to enable purging on
Nginx, I need to use the directive - proxy_cache_purge.

But when I try to add this directive in Ngnix configuration and start the
server, I get the following error:

          "nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "proxy_cache_purge" in

Is this directive proxy_cache_purge is not available in Nginx Free version ?
If so it is available in Nginx Plus version ?