Help! 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable when trying to reverse-proxy wordpress

Francis Daly francis at
Mon Jun 26 23:16:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 06:24:50PM +0100, Fabrice Triboix wrote:

Hi there,

> I looked again at the requests from the browser (chrome), and I can
> see something peculiar: the requests for "/" and "/favicon.ico" have
> a header "Host:"; however the other requests have a header
> "Host:". That's really weird... Could that be the cause
> of the problem?

> If yes, how come the browser sends the IP address
> for the "Host" header, which is after all meant to allow servicing
> different domains on the same IP address?

curl -v

which sends a http 301, so then do

curl -v

and look at the returned content.

Whatever server is listening there is returning the html content with
links to things below

Most likely, your wordpress is configured to do that. If you can configure
your wordpress to start all internal links with "/" instead of "http",
it will probably Just Work.

Alternatively, in the nginx config that you did not show, perhaps
"proxy_set_header Host $http_host;" was not present.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at