Measuring nginx's efficiency

ST smntov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:47:09 UTC 2017

> If your current apache configuration serves static files via the php engine, then you're doing something very wrong.
Well, this php-engine is built into apache itself... Anyway, considering only this fact, such a bad apache
configuration should not be significantly slower than that of nginx?

> You might or might not see any speed gain depending on your apache configuration, but you should see a big difference in the amount of resources used to serve traffic.
Which ones? And how exactly can I measure this? This also might be a
good point to convince my boss to switch...

> As Valentin mentioned, it's about scalability majority of the time - and that in itself will decrease your costs in hardware or resources that is required to be able to serve your static traffic, and I'm sure whomever you have to prove to, why you should switch from Apache to nginx, would love to see that the cost of running your current setup might decrease to some or to huge extend.
Right now we have a pretty capable dedicated server which costs ca.
40Euro per month and is an overkill for our needs. So for now resources
is not an issue that much...

> If you run wrk as suggested below, you will get a bunch of useful data that will help you chose whichever software solution is the best to use.

Do you think I should stress a production server?

Thank you!