Large latency increase when using a resolver for proxy_pass

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Mar 1 15:07:43 UTC 2017

Hello!

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 09:05:32AM -0500, user384829 wrote:

> OK thanks for the reply but how do I resolve this? Am I supposed to use
> upstream blocks with hostnames in them? My impression is that these won't be
> resolved inline with the TTL.

If you control your backends, consider using normal nginx
procedure with configuration reload to re-resolve names instead.
Alternatively, consider using plain http to communicate with
backends, or tuning SSL for faster handshakes (using ECDSA
certs on backends will help a lot).

A perfect solution for your specific case would probably be an
upstream block with "server ... resolve", but this functionality
is only available in nginx-plus
(http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#resolve).

http://nginx.org/