MySQL Access w/ Nginx

Paul Romero paulr at
Thu Mar 2 18:35:22 UTC 2017

Dear Nginx Community:

Do you think NGinx is a viable and advisable solution for providing MySQL
server access to my application ? The basic requirements and goals of the
application are described below.

Although, NGinx is classified as a Web Server which can act as a
Reverse Proxy or Load Balancer, my application does not need exactly
that kind of functionality in the short term.  The short term need is
to allow mobile platforms to access a single MySQL server. Eventually,
there will be multiple MySQL servers and load balancing and failure
fallback will be issues, and perahs caching. That means the basic
is as follows.

| Mobile |  <--> Internet <-->  | NGinx | <-->  | MySQL   | <-->  | MySQL |
| System |       (TCP/IP)                       | Backend |       | Server|

Initially NGinx, the MySQL Backend, and MySQL Server will all be on the same
Linux host. My main concern is how the MySQL Backend fits and operates
that architecture. (i.e. I am not sure about the correct terminology for the
MySQL Backend.) I assume, but am not sure, it can interact with the NGinx
without additional components, such as Drupal.

The basic requirement is the ability to perform remote MySQL queries and
with syntax and semantics which are virtually the same as the
corresponding manual
operations. However, the remote system does not need to use the same
syntax and semantics
as the module that performs MySQL operations. Also, smooth interaction
and MySQL components is a requirement. (i.e. I think Apache is not an
Note that application clients will put a large volume of data into the
MySQL database
and interaction with a Web Server is not an issue at this point.

The priority is to allow a mobile system such as an Android, and
eventually an Apple,
to access an MySQL server on a Unix/Linux system securely. However, the
for the same functionality in a conventional Internet host is almost as

The essential connection and authentication requirements are as follows.

* SSL encryption/authentication
* MySQL authentication
* No passwords etc. are transmitted in the open.
* Support for multiple concurrent connections from the same or multiple
* Each remote MySQL user must perform SSL authentication separately and
   is 1-1 relationship between the SSL and MySQL authentication data.

Best Regards,

Paul R.

Paul Romero
RCOM Communications Software